CYBER MONDAY SALES HAPPENING NOW! HURRY 24 HOURS ONLY! NO CODE REQUIRED.
FREE SHIPPING FOR ORDERS OVER $80
1.5 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
3 red chillies diced
2 shallots diced
10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp black pepper peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
4 star anise
1/4 cup dried red chilli flakes
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp caster sugar
2 pinches Murray River Salt Pink Salt Flakes
4 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1. Add the oil to a wok along with the chillies, shallot, garlic, peppercorns. Add the cinnamon stick and star anise. Starting with cold oil is essential.
2. Heat the oil to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the ingredients in the pot are browned and crispy. The timing can vary based on the heat of the oil, do not try and hurry this process.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes or longer. The flavours will infuse the oil even further.
4. In a separate heat-proof bowl, mix together the chilli flakes, paprika, soy sauce, sugar and salt.
5. Strain the oil into the chili flake mixture. Reserve the crispy chilli-shallot-garlic bits in the strainer and set them aside for now to cool, which will allow them to fully crisp up.
6. Discard the cinnamon stick and star anise pods, then add the crispy bits back into the oil.
7. When cool, stir through toasted sesame seeds.
8. Store in an airtight jar at room temperature and use as needed in small amounts on noodles, eggs, over chicken or fish, or as a condiment on demand.
Subscribe to our Salty Society and claim your discount.