Mushroom & Thyme Galette with Truffle Salt
Galette crust ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup non dairy butter
- 1.5 tablespoons vegan buttermilk (1 tbs apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 tsp oat milk, leave for 10-15 minutes to curdle)
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
Mushroom, lemon & thyme filling ingredients:
- 500g mushrooms, sliced thinly and panfried
- 1 leek, sliced thinly and panfried
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled, minced and panfried with the mushrooms and leek
- Add the spelt flour and baking powder to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and using your hands crumble it into the flour mixture until almost combined.
- Add the vegan buttermilk and combine again.
- Add the ice cold water and combine again.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead a few times and roll into a ball.
- Slice the ball into two and roll into two balls.
- Cover each ball with cling wrap and place into the fridge to rest for at-least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 200 degrees fan bake.
- Once the dough has rested, place it back onto the lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin roll it out to a small circle, allowing the dough to have some thickness and not be too thin.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and leek mixture into the centre of the dough and working slowly, carefully fold the edges of the dough around the filling. Rustic is best so it’s ok if it’s not neat and tidy!
- Brush the edges of the galette with extra milk to allow the pastry to crisp up and go a golden colour.
- Place the galette onto a baking sheet and then onto a baking tray or oven dish.
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until the dough is golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and season with pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of Murray River Truffle Salt.