Sunraysia Citrus and Murray River Salt cured Murray Cod with orange, cucumber and Garreffa’s capers
- 1kg of Murray Cod fillets (or other fish such as Kingfish, Cobia, Trout or Salmon)
- 200g of Murray River Gourmet Salt Flakes
- 15g of ground fennel seeds
- 10g of ground star anise
- Zest of 3 oranges
- Juice of 3 oranges
- Garden thyme
- Basil leaves
- 2 Lebanese cucumber, diced finely
- 2 oranges, segmented and diced, reserving the juice
- 20g Garreffa’s preserved baby capers
- 1 lemon
- Murray River Gourmet Salt Flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Boundary Bend extra virgin olive oil
- Place Murray Cod in trays skin side down.
- Sprinkle liberally with half of the salt, and all of the fennel and star anise.
- Arrange the aromatics, orange zest, thyme and basil evenly on top.
- Cover with the orange juice and sprinkle with the remaining salt.
- Cover and press with a weighted tray and leave in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Remove the Murray Cod from the cure and wipe clean.
- Slice the Murray Cod thinly and arrange flat and evenly on the plate.
- Mix the cucumber, orange, orange juice and capers in a bowl and spoon on top of the sliced fish.
- Dress with a squeeze of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Finish with cracked pepper and Murray River Gourmet Salt Flakes.