Thai Roo salad with sweet potato crackers
- 50g K-roo kangaroo fillet
- Crushed roasted peanuts, to serve
- Fried shallots, to serve
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 lemongrass, outer stalk removed
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
Sweet potato cracker
- ½ cup Natural Evolution sweet potato flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ cups rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly into ribbons
- 2 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly into ribbons
- ½ cup of beansprouts
- 1 packet mung bean noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 handful Thai basil leaves
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 1 small handful Vietnamese mint
- 1 small handful mint
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- For the marinade, place chilli, kaffier lime leaves, shallots, garlic and lemongrass in a food processor and process until a chunky paste is formed. Add the fish sauce and rice malt syrup and process to a paste. Transfer to a bowl, add the kangaroo fillets and mix to combine. Marinade the kangaroo fillets for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- For the sweet potato crackers, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the sweet potato flour in a bowl, pour over the boiling water and mix to combine. Stir in the milk and transfer to a food processor. Add the rice flour, baking powder and butter and until pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a sheet of baking paper and place a second sheet on top. Roll to 3mm thick. Cut in half, place on 2 baking trays and remove the top sheet of paper. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and sesame seeds and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the marinated roo from the fridge about 20 minutes prior to cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. Just before cooking turn the meat in the marinade.
- Place a large frying pan over a high heat, when hot, add the fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Leave to rest for 3-5 minutes before cutting into 5mm thick slices.
- For the salad, place carrots, cucumber, bean shoots and noodles in a large bowl. Chop herbs and add to the bowl.
- For the salad dressing, combine the ingredients in a small bowl, pour over salad, add the chill and toss to combine.
- To serve, place a large handful of salad in the middle of a serving plate and top with the kangaroo fillets. Garnish with a sprinkle of peanuts and fried shallots and finish with sweet potato cracker.